Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Report on last night's ride home

So I skipped out of 10 miles on the ride home last night. I have been scouting a route that cuts through the foothills between my home and school instead of going around them. It involves riding through land owned by a development company which they set aside to meet required "conservation" leases in order to receive huge tax breaks. In reality, as soon as the "conservation lease" expires the land will be promptly developed. To make matters even worse, the land (and the paved roads throughout) are gated and off limits to anyone. I finally gave them the figurative middle finger and rode on a paved road that basically runs due north to my house. While it was ten miles shorter, the climb was brutal, both due to the grade and my lack of planning. It ended being an elevation gain of about 1,300 feet in four miles. Add to that the ass kicking I gave myself on the 25 miles to school, and the fact that it was 7:00 pm when I left school and my last food intake was at 11:00 am and it equals me making noises similar to that of a pig shitting a football and fleeting feelings that crapping my pants was a distinct possibility. I actually stopped pedalling at one point to fart because I didn't think I could work both my leg and sphincter muscles at the same time. I also felt like I was going way, way to slow to make it home in the two hours I told Amy to expect me in, so I kept pushing. It turns out I made it home in an hour five or so over the 14 miles.
I am not sure if the threat of overtraining is becoming a possibility now or not. But at this point I am just happy in being able to push myself so hard. And I didn't work out at all today, so in this case I am sure I am fine.

No comments: