Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back on track

So since my last my last post I have been back on the bike. The very next day I rode into work. It was a good ride, I felt strong and pedaled well. I wasn't sure what time I left the house, but I thought it took about an hour forty. I took the train and met Amy at the station. The next day I rode in with a watch on. I kept it running as a stopwatch. It was awesome, but I think I will have to limit myself to that once a week. I ended up pedaling my ass off. I kept glancing down, estimating my mileage (I refuse to use and computer, and this reinforces that decision) and then trying to make up the time to get to work in an hour and a half. When I was about five miles away, I noticed I might be able to make it an hour and twenty minutes. Which I did… with twenty seconds to spare. I was very excited, especially when I realized I averaged over 19 miles an hour including stoplights and other road crossings. That day a coworker asked if I wanted to go watch speedway motorcycle racing, which is racing smallish single cylinder motorcycles on a very tight oval. It sounded like fun which it was, a lot. Check it out:


More details on the wacky, brakeless, bikes later.
But getting to the races involved another ten miles of riding in under forty minutes. I did, but I was dead at the end of the day.
I didn't ride on Sunday, but I rode partway into work after carpooling with Amy. It was only ten miles and I kept the pace slow. That night I took the train and met with Amy.
The next day I was all set to ride the 40 mile round trip to school and back but I broke a spoke within five minutes of starting off. That is the one drawback to rough commuting miles, it really beats up your stuff. I fixed the wheel tonight, did some homework, and got my mountain bike ready for some dirt tomorrow morning.
Woo-hooo

1 comment:

Seth Miller said...

Set that goal and shattered it. Nice!